Summer Field School 2022
Join us to tour small and sustainable farm operations within East Tennessee!
This is our official schedule for SFS 2022. We’ve got an awesome lineup you won’t want to miss! Attendees can pick workshops a la carte for $15 per session or purchase all 8 sessions for a discounted rate of $100. Each session will take place the 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month from 6-8pm in the evening. All sessions will include a tour of the farm, an additional speaker, and time for questions and to socialize. The session schedule with descriptions are below.
- April 28th, 6pm: Appalachian Cove Forest Farm AND Appalachian Harvest Herb Hub (Duffield, VA): medicinal herb farming & distribution, forest farming
- May 12th, 6pm: John Abe Teague Farm (Jonesborough, TN): rotational grazing, cattle, NRCS funding for fencing and water systems
- June 9th, 6pm: Opossum Bottom (Johnson City, TN): urban agriculture, year-round produce, specialty produce, and a discussion on food safety
- June 23rd, 6pm: Depot Street Orchard (Jonesborough, TN): specialty fruit crop production, Asian pears, natural pest control, how to start an orchard
- July 14th, 6pm: Rural Resources with Jay Heselchwerdt (Greeneville, TN): beginner beekeeping, honey production
- July 28th, 6pm: The Flower Girl (Greeneville, TN): cut flower production
- August 11th, 6pm: Boone Farm and Gardens (Jonesborough, TN): on-farm chicken processing, poultry
- August 25th, 6pm: The Funny Farm (Chuckey, TN): Agritourism, beef cattle, talk about liability
This work is supported by the Beginning Farmers and Ranchers Development Grant #2021-49400-35615 from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA).
Appalachian Resource Conservation & Development Council's workshops require advanced time, effort, and expense to plan and host. As such, it is policy of ARCD to issue refunds for registration fees only in the event that the workshop is cancelled or in extreme circumstances. In order to receive a refund for extreme circumstances, registrants must communicate with the workshop coordinator at least 48 hours prior to the event so that their spot may be offered to someone on the waitlist. Refunds will not be issued after a workshop begins.